Sample College Essay Questions
College essay questions are the most important part of your college application, and it can be the hardest. But you can prepare yourself by looking at some sample questions, and by researching those topics you can be better prepared to write you essay. Some examples are listed below.
Social Issues and Current Events – Many colleges use this topic to see how up to date you are with what problems we are facing in today’s society.
- What do you feel is the most important problem that society is facing, and why?
- Pick a controversial issue on college campuses and how you would fix them.
- What do you feel is the greatest threat to our environment?
Personal Achievements – Colleges are seeking students that have achieved something in some part of their life. Don’t be surprised to see them asking you to brag about yourself a little.
- How have you demonstrated leadership both in school and in your personal life?
- Describe what sets you apart from everyone else.
- Tell us your most meaningful experience and what it means for your future.
Background and Personal Influences – Colleges want to know who you are affiliated with and where you have been. They will ask you to write about your background and what influences you have had.
- Choose one experience from your life and describe how it has affected your development.
- Name one person in your life that has been your biggest influence, and why?
- How has your family’s background encouraged the way you see the world?
- How has your education changed who you are today?
Goals and Dreams – Colleges are looking for students that have a plan for their life, and may ask what you goals you have set for yourself.
- Tell us your long-term and short-term goals.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- Why do you want to attain a college degree?
Even though you can not know every question that a college will ask, but knowing the most common ones can help you get ahead of other applicants.