Personal Statement Essay Examples
The personal statement essay is a major part of college applications, and some jobs will require you to write one also. There are three types of personal statements; universal, all encompassing, and statement of response. The statement of response answers a particular question. This type of essay allows you to address who you are, what your goals are, and what sets you apart from everyone else. Personal statement essay examples can be a great help when writing your own college essay.
The first step to writing your personal statement is to brainstorm and prepare yourself.
- Make a list of people, places, or job experiences that has shaped who you are today.
- List all of the skills, characteristics, or qualifications that you may possess. These must be relevant to the position or program you are applying for.
- Create an overview of your goals and how that program or position is going to help you achieve those goals.
- Become familiar with that particular program or position. The more information you have, the easier it will be to write your statement.
Now that you have some notes and an outline for your essay, it is time to put it all together. Here is some information that may help you accomplish this task.
- Look at the list you made, and choose a subject that is of great importance to you. You want to have as much supporting information as you can for your topic. So make sure you have enough information to write a complete essay that will wow the reader.
- Create your opening paragraph; your thesis should be included in this paragraph. Make sure it is strong enough to carry all the way through your statement.
- The body of your statement should exemplify your knowledge and experience with the program or position. And your enthusiasm to work towards attaining your goals.
- The conclusion of your statement should include restating your main point of interest. And should summarize everything you have written about in your statement.
- Finally, proofread your statement several times. It is suggested that you have another person read it also, this way they can see if there are any additional grammar errors that you may not have seen.
The personal statement essay will be one of the most important essays you will ever write. If your personal statement is part of your college application, remember that admissions officers have a very limited time to read each essay, so you will want to grab their attention from the beginning. And avoid including information that the reader may already have access to, such as your test scores, grades, work reviews, etc. Personal statement essay examples can help you figure out what direction you need to take your essay. But remember to be original with your statement; after all it is all about you.