FSEOG Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a need based grant, so a student must fill out a FAFSA (free application for federal student aid). The students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be awarded the most money. There are nearly 4,000 colleges that participate in this program, so chances are the student will be able to find the college of their choice.

The colleges get to determine the amount of money that is awarded through the FSEOG grant.  The student needs to be enrolled or have been accepted for enrollment to the college in order to receive funding.  Students already receiving the Pell Grant will get first consideration when it comes to this grant.

The federal government supplies 75% of the money for the grant and the college contributes the other 25%. The earlier the Federal Educational Supplemental Opportunity Grant application is sent, the better the chances are that there will be enough money for the grant to be approved .The college is the one that determines how the money is distributed. So if you wait too long to apply for the grant, you may get denied due to lack of funds.

The amount of money awarded by the FSEOG varies anywhere from $100 to $4000 per school year. The larger amounts are given to the students that are in the greatest need.  And the need is based on the EFC of the student.  This information is given at the same time that the student fills out the FASFA.

The following requirements need to be met in order to qualify for the FSEOG:

  • The student must be an US citizen
  • The student must have filled out a FASFA
  • There is significant financial need on behalf of the student.

If awarded funding through the FSEOG, you will either receive a check or it will be paid directly to the college of attendance. You will receive a notice of how much you will receive either through email or “snail” mail.

If a college does not use all of the funding for the FSEOG, they will not receive as much money in the next school year.