You will not have to spend hours trying to figure out what classification essay topics to choose from. The basic skills you will need to write a classification essay is the ability to analyze data, group the data into categories and sub-categories, and the use of reliable sources of information. Remember that their characteristics and their similar features classify all things.
The classification principle you choose will be the basis for your college essay, as all of the grouping and categorizing will depend on this principle. You can apply your own principle for the classifications of certain objects. You can create and implement you own classification based on your own rating system, which will have a positive impact on your professor.
When classifying objects, you need to make sure the categories are clearly defined, and that you have direct examples for each classification. If your work lacks specific examples, it can look dull and lame. You can choose from different approaches to writing your essay. Classify, rate, and evaluate are some examples of the different approaches.
Here are a few examples of classification essay topics for the classifying approach:
- Classify Flora and Fauna into groups; i.e. birds, insects, shrubs, trees, etc.
- Classify the inventions of mankind in order of significance, frequency of use, and the influence it has had on development of the human race.
- Classify events in history chronologically; an example is wars the US had participated in.
- Classify all the well-to-do and successful people in the US; group them by the amount of money they make.
- Classify major car manufactures; categorize by safety features, price, and fuel economy.
The following classification topics are based on the rating and evaluation approach:
- Rate your favorite TV shows, movies, or sitcoms; group them by your likes and dislikes.
- Rate hotels according to the amount of stars they have received.
- Evaluate grocery stores according to the quality of service they provide.
- Evaluate bars, cafés or restaurants according to how often you and your friends visit them.
- Rate airlines from best to worst according to your own personal experiences.
Make sure the data you collect is authentic, as any false data can lead to wrong references and put you in a difficult position. When writing a classification essay, you need to be creative and observant. The aim of this essay is to make people more aware of their surroundings and to improve their own power of observation. As in a classification essay, it is important to link things together and then draw any conclusions.